The Court of Final Appeal in Central was built on reclaimed land using hundreds of Chinese fir-tree piles as foundations. It was opened by Governor Lugard in 1912 and was home to the Supreme Court until 1985 when it was converted into the Former Legislative Council.
The three-storey granite building is neo-classical in style supported by tall Ionic columns. The most outstanding feature of the building is the pediment in the centre portion which contains the statue of the Greek Goddess of Justice, Themis who is blindfolded and holds a scale.
ARCHITECT: Aston Webb and Edward Ingress Bell
BUILDING: Court of Final Appeal (2015 after renovation), Legislative Council Chambers (1985-2011), The Old Supreme Court (1912-1983)
LOCATION: 8 Jackson Road, Central, Hong Kong
YEAR COMPLETED: 1912
HEIGHT: 40 metres
FLOOR AREA: 2,660 square metres